Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Gotcha Day

Yesterday was our Gotcha Day.  We left the hotel about 9:00 for the drive across town to the orphanage.  Nothing is a short drive here; everything is at least 20 minutes depending on traffic.  When we arrived we were taken into the office portion of the orphanage and up to a small room.  There was another family there as well, the Burns', and they set us down to sign papers.  We'd barely gotten started when our guide told us to hurry because the children were coming.

She looks like she's doing pretty good in this picture but that's only because the other couple's little girl was crying pretty hard.  She's wondering what's up.  We didn't stay in that room very long because Isabelle started to cry as well.

We took a quick tour of the orphanage but were unable to go inside the buildings.  They don't allow visitors in case someone is ill.  While I can appreciate that, I was bummed.  I was really hoping to step foot into her room where she stayed.  The tour was really quick, but the orphanage is really nice.  Our guide told us it is the nicest of the orphanages that she works with and that the nannies really love the kids.  I am so thankful to all those who have cared for her while she waited!

As we were leaving, this group of kids came outside to play.  They are so sweet.  It broke Kenzi's heart and she wanted to bring them all home:)

In the van she stopped crying long enough to wonder what her Baba (daddy) had.  The quiet didn't last long and she began to cry again.  I'm glad she is grieving because it makes me realize she was loved where she was.

This is one proud big brother!  Too bad it's blurry.

Unfortunately, this is where she spent most of the rest of her day.  I don't think she has spent much time outside of her crib.  She is definitely most comfortable there.  She gets on her hands and knees and rocks back and forth for long periods of time.  This is also how she puts herself to sleep.  She's never had a mommy and daddy to rock her with a bottle and now that she does, she doesn't want any part of it.  I know that will change.

Playing with her toys.

We got a little glimpse of her personality, too.  As long as we didn't try to hold her or take her out of her crib she was just fine.  She even smiled a bit too:)

We absolutely love her and cannot wait to earn her trust.  I have a feeling we will see a huge difference in our little girl in the next couple of weeks.  I cannot wait to share her progress!

1 comment:

  1. We are having some of the same things here. Mercy wants no part of being held while fed. She has periods of crying and screaming too. Overall she is good considering how her life has changed in the past 24 hours. It's beautiful to see your daughter WITH you!!!

    ReplyDelete